Monday, May 21, 2012

F-O-C-U-S Can you spell it?

 Word travels fast in Western Iowa.

 Pretty much as we had anticipated, we are now getting calls from concerned people looking for rescue, for which we are not equipped or licensed. We've had litters of kittens dropped off at AVC that were way too young to be adopted and so needed foster care and even feedings from a bottle. We've been able to handle this only because AVC has the room ,the vets are willing and they will take them in.  They are limited, however.  This has been a particularly hard thing for AVCheryl and myself.  In a perfect world ,where money, space and time would be no issue, we would take any needy cat from any county or state.

  This month has been a wake-up call for us.  We had to wake up to the fact that our mission is for feral and free roaming cats and if we don't stick to that mission statement, we will flail and loose ground instead of gaining the successes that we truly desire.  I, Kathy, have Sheila at Shadow Cats Rescue in Round Rock, TX  and my very grounded sister, Kris to thank for this revelation.  


 But, this week I had the opportunity to work with a nice lady in Earling, IA and I feel my focus coming back to TNR.   Today I met Diane.  A jovial and fun lady in Earling, who finds much satisfaction and fulfillment in feeding and caring for free roaming cats.  She has a brood of about 15-20 she said. However, I only saw ten while I was there.  She also is limited, financially.    She initially feared that I was coming to take her cats away or hound her for money of which she has none.   After assuring her that I did NOT want to take her kitties and that if money was an issue, we had people all over the country to help, she was glowing.   Her kitties look quite healthy and she wants them all back.  She has been able to feed them, but hasn't got the funds to vet them properly.  
We can help!

 So now we are faced with the project of trapping, neutering and returning over 15 cats that need their "spa treatment". Thanks to our current auction, we should have the funds to cover this project.

Thank you to everyone out there that is reading this blog.  Maybe you have donated, maybe you have prayed or maybe you just think good thoughts about us.  We appreciate you being here for us in any way you can.

Its pretty much just me, Kathy out here with boots on the ground doing the physical TNR, but I could not do it without all of you and my crew along side of me!  Donate if you can, and if you live in the Walnut area and have a passion for cats and the time to help me, call....we need you!  Thanks!