Thursday, July 14, 2011

A New Stray has Found a Home!

A few months ago, this guy showed up on my porch.  As hard as I tried, I couldn't ignore him, or not feed him, or totally and completely fall in love with him.  I named him Leroy Jethro Gibbs.  Named after Mark Harmon's character in NCIS.  I figured hes a tall, gray haired, blue-eyed handsome man...the name fits perfectly!


So he has been neutered and vaccinated and is acclimating to a household with 3 other cats.  He so wants to fit in and become part of our family.  He was starving when he found us and eats like a hungry dog.  I'm hoping that calms down soon, as the others  are nervously protecting their food.  I have to supervise.

This kitty is not a feral.  I believe one of two things have happened.  He either got lost and ended up on my porch or he was dumped.  I don't want to think that someone dumped this wonderful feline.  He is loving and gentle and quiet.  His purr is loud and comforting.  All he wants is a family.  Now he has one.

And the feral cat problem prevails in our little town.  And still nothing has been truly organized to take care of the problem.  Although we have found homes for some, spayed and neutered a few and attempted to feed some, we are not "up and running" and the thought of all that needs to happen is daunting.

My first agenda item is to hold an organizational meeting.  My mind gets overwhelmed when I think of all the facets of this project and I cant help but think no one will want to help and I will be alone, with Pam and Cheryl to try to do this.  I feel like I dont want to start if we arent totally prepared.

What we do have is the following:

  • A wonderful vet that will spay or neuter and give the rabies vacination for a very reasonable rate.
  • A volunteer to drive kitties to the vet for SNV (spay, neuter, vac)
  • A source for some donated food. 
What we need:

  • Cages for trapping
  • Volunteers to set traps
  • Locations for Feeding sites
  • Volunteers for Feeding Daily
  • Education to the community on the importance of TNR
  • Encouraging community to Spay, neuter and vac their pets.
When I put it all on paper, it doesnt seem so crazy or overwhelming.  I guess its just taking the first step, once Im sure what the first step is....